Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Live Simply

My mom and siblings gave me a little pocket charm that says "Live Simply". It was chosen for me because they know me well and understand that is what I want to embrace. I have a tiny plaque that says, "A happy Family. A cozy house, A heart at peace. All is well" That says it all for me. But it isn't always simple to live simply, is it? It is easy to get caught in the complicated webs of career, commitments, consumerism, other people's problems,the insanity of politics and economics, the multitude of philosophies...the list could go on. Even if I can keep myself out of that madness, my brain just likes to complicate things. So, I decided the first step in living simply is thinking simply - the 'what and when' of my thinking . The only time I am really stressed is when I am regretting yesterday or worrying about the future, so the 'when' of my thinking simply has to be in the now. OK, so brain is engaged in the now. Next, what do I think about in the now? I have to decide what to do with my day. So I choose to live my hobbit-like existence worrying myself only with what to plant where on my little plot of land, what is ready to harvest today, how much to eat and how much to store, should I go play with children at the Cornally's or keep reading my book, should I take a walk or go for a swim? Simple problems with no wrong answers. If God should choose to call me out of the Shire and go on a mission to fight some world evil, I will be ready and willing. (That is how I kind of view my job). But it is still July and life is indeed simple. Today the beans need picked. Can we eat them all or should I freeze some? I might play with children at the Cornally's while Lianna freezes sweet corn. An afternoon swim would be nice. A happy family. A cozy house. A heart at peace. All is well.
1 Thessalonians 4:9, 11-12: You have been taught by God to love each other....and make it your ambition to lead a quiet life. You should mind your own business and work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.

2 comments:

  1. I love that verse! I'm so glad it exists!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have so much to learn from you...that we could all live simply! I want to be just like you!

    ReplyDelete