Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Heart Armor

The most common complaint from my little counselees is that someone is "being mean" to them (saying mean things, talking bad about them to others, giving dirty looks). With all the many complaints, you would think the world is completely full of meanies. Actually, the same kids complaining are the ones being complained about. It is a lot about perception. So I teach kids to put on the "heart armor." I ask them to picture a knight in his armor and how since they are wearing all that metal, arrows can't hurt them. Heart armor is something you keep in your heart that protects us from the flaming arrows of mean words and dirty looks. If you keep your heart armor strong, mean words and looks can just bounce off you and fall to the floor. Are you ready to put that armor on? OK, then repeat after me "No matter what... they say or do...I am still....a wonderful person!" I let them change the word "wonderful" to any word that they use to describe something that they think is great (awesome, amazing, sweet, cool, fantastic, etc.)

Ephesians 6:10-17 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world, and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

No matter what they say or do, I am still God's precious child.

2 comments:

  1. "No matter if they stop and stare, no person ever anywhere, can make me feel that what they see is all there really is to me."

    From the children's book "I Like Myself". :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. After a study of that passage, it was pointed out that the entire body is covered in armor except your back, because God's got your back. Cheesy...but I like it. And I remember it.

    Thanks for the reminder. I need heart armor too!

    ReplyDelete