Tuesday, February 9, 2010

parental paradox and prayer

I have 2 very sad cases happening right now in counseling. I cannot reveal the details since my job is to keep things secret, but I don't think it will take away from the story. One little girl started misbehaving and acting out in ways that sent up red flags. After talking to her, I learned of her problem - a terrible one that children should not have to face. I hadn't encountered this particular situation before, but I followed through with my job in the way I have been trained. In short, the reaction from the parent was that the child was never to talk to me again. I thought I was doing the right things on behalf of this family, but the outcome was the parent removing me from all contact with them. I asked God for affirmation that I really was doing the right thing. Later on that same day, I found a message on my office phone. It was from another mother of another little girl, exact same age and even the same classroom. She described in detail the exact same scenario as the first family - only she was asking my help. She had asked her daughter how she felt about the school counselor, and her daughter said she liked me. So mom wanted her daughter to have a caring person to talk to as their family worked through this horrible ordeal. Same situation, completely opposite response. Does this story sound contrived? If I were you, I wouldn't believe me. Statistically, it is crazy that the same situation is happening in the same classroom. Beyond that, what are the odds that the truth would come out at the same time? What are the chances that a mom would even describe this situation in a phone message? But God works like this - and it still surprises me when he does! I don't pretend to understand how He works, but I know He does work on behalf of those who love him. I thanked God for the affirmation. It was no coincidence that I received that phone call on the exact same day I asked for His guidance. He put me in this place at this time to help children, and He is equipping me to do it. The first mom can keep me from talking to her daughter, but no one can keep me from praying.

2 comments:

  1. God is clearly using you in amazing ways. How lucky are those children to have a counselor like you? Praying for them and helping them through things they shouldn't have to go through...you are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing the power of God with us! You are amazing and God is awesome! There are no accidents at all is what I am learning. God takes care of whatever needs to be. Things are not always easy, but He will take care of things. He is listening for sure to your prayers. Yup.........the kids are so blessed to have you with them.

    ReplyDelete