Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The quintessential slob

Our women's group talked about the pitfalls of perfectionism. One by one, the women complained of how hard it is to deal with their quest to be perfect, either in their crafts, or their housekeeping, or their character, etc. A few claimed it was NOT perfectionism, but a strong "attention to detail" and a "heightened awareness of aesthetics." I was not relating AT ALL. I feel really good about myself when I can succeed at just not being a loser. Why set the bar so high, girls? I didn't say a word, but just listened to them one by one complain of their perfectionism. Finally, it got around the circle to the woman right before me. I was so glad she was there. She painted a completely different picture for herself, saying, "My house is generally pretty chaotic as I have several projects started that I would rather work on than do housekeeping, and I am not very good at finishing the projects - I mean the house isn't DIRTY, but it is pretty cluttered. I am reading 5 different books right now that I may or may not finish. I have resigned myself to never getting very good at any one thing or topic because I just have too many interests. And I am OK with that. I think I would get bored if I had more focus." And on she went describing her life of trying to be just "OK" and being comfortable with that. Then it was my turn. I said, "Everything that she said, ditto for me. Except my house is dirty." When the group was over, I was the last to leave because I was making friends with my kindred spirit. When we went outside and saw the new snowfall, everyone else in the group was carefully brushing every snowflake off of their entire car. My new friend and I brushed off our back windshield, let the wipers do the front, and rode off waving at the rest of the group, still working on their perfectionism.

2 comments:

  1. HA! I love this! As a former perfectionist, I can say that I now fully embrace "just not being a loser"! A great way to keep perfectionism at bay is to constantly remind yourself that SOME people are way worse than you are! :) Kidding...sort of...

    Hilarious post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my FAVORITE post in the history of posts...mainly because honesty (like yours and your kindred spirit) creates wonderful things...like new friendships. Love it!

    ReplyDelete