Monday, February 1, 2010

being happy while working

"The place God calls you to is the place where your deep gladness and the world’s deep hunger meet." Fredrick Buechner
This quote was in the sermon yesterday at First Lutheran Church in Cedar Rapids. He was talking about God's calling - what does God call you to BE. I always thought your calling was what God wanted you to do. Well, today I am going to my job. I can focus on what I do (check email/calendar, walk through the building and check with teachers, meet with kids, do classroom guidance lessons and small group lessons, call parents and social workers and agencies, document everything in a database, work on my PLP and a 504 or an IEP, and the many other "things I do.") I think I would be happier to focus on who I am and do the things I love. I am going to go hang out in my little room I created - decorated with care bears and a lava lamp and a little, lighted fountain of water cascading over little stones - one of which has "believe" engraved on it. I will invite children to come join me and we will play with puppets or create a work of art or play in the sand tray where we dig for buried treasures. While we are playing, they may want to share their problems with me, and I will listen as if their story is the only one in the world that matters - because that will be true at that moment. I will be happy being there, and a child might be happier for having been with me.

1 comment: